Thursday, August 13, 2009

Retraction

I am publishing a retraction to my previously posted blog. It has taken me quite sometime to swallow my pride and do this. Here is the second part of the story.

When we last left off, David had just returned home from the Minor Medical Center with a prescription and and a shot. Well, Thursday while at work, he was looking at the aftermath of spider bites on the Internet and freaking himself out that his leg was going to rot off. I tried to assure him that even with a rotten leg, we could still be friends. I tried and tried to convince him that he was going to be fine and that he needed to let the antibiotics work but he was still not convinced. He made an appointment with our family practitioner who took one look at this seemingly healthy 28 year old and said "you need to drive to the hospital, I am admitting you." WHAT?! Dave called me at the office and told me the news that he was being admitted to the hospital for this spider bite. Let me just tell you how awful I felt since all I had been telling him all day was to suck it up and deal with it! Long story short, we went to the hospital and had the most wonderful doctor who saw us. He explained everything thoroughly and told David that indeed it was not a spider bite but a generalized infection (This is where the retraction comes in, it was indeed not a spider bite but probably an infection from the wasp sting. I was wrong). They ran tests to make sure he didn't have a blood clot and my favorite, an x-ray to make sure he hadn't been shot and both came back negative. After hours of IV antibiotics, the ER doctor called our doctor and they agreed to let us go home for the evening with strict instructions to come back if it proceeded to get any worse.

I just have to say it really is a scary thought that they wanted to admit my seemingly healthy husband to the hospital. The other scary part of this whole ordeal was that if I were to go into labor at any point in these few days, he would not be able to be there with me, nor would he be able to meet Harrison.

Friday he was able to stay home from work and keep his foot elevated and the same Saturday and Sunday. He is still on his antibiotics but is doing great. There should not be any lasting effects from his adventure.